Search This Blog

Thursday, July 4, 2019

On personal impressions and thoughts

I took an extended break for the last couple of years.....the realities of life pulled me away for awhile from being able to find time to do what I love and had me focusing instead of my health and family.  Though nothing is ever perfect, things currently seem to be stabilizing and with that I am happy to say that my little reviews and discussions can move forward.

I spent some time think about this wonderful and beautifully engaging interest.  Perfume serves so many purposes and people enjoy it for so many reasons.  It is an art.  It can be a rush.  It can offer solace, solidify experiences, help add confidence, or recall distant memories in the blink of an eye (or sniff).  It can he used to relax, energize, or send messages to people about who you are without having to rely on words.  It can be a beautiful way to create connections and friendships, or a way to appreciate art in a very personal way, allowing yourself to be the canvas and interpreter of a scent.

I was at the Opera last night in Santa Fe.  The Opera House is a lovely open air structure that allows the cool desert breeze to gently freshen the air as you enjoy the performance.  This being my first time in this lovely area, I was surprised by how many scents I smelled on various people during intermission and throughout the performance.  I caught myself wanting to stop someone because they smelled so viscerally beautiful but I couldn’t identify who had walked past.  Someone else was wearing a crisp cardamom and sandalwood scent, while yet another smelled of a fragrance that rasped the inside of my nose.  I realized how much I truly miss living in an area where people feel free to express themselves through all kinds of mediums, and how each of these people had made an impression on me without me ever seeing their faces.

My break was necessary and ultimately ended up solidifying my love for this hobby, bringing me back to my initial passion for trying new scents and enjoying what I own.  It helped me learn more about what I love and much about not necessarily being influenced by others’ impressions of scents....after all, even an artist who paints the same painting over and over on a blank canvas will never have the exact same result in the end.  The break taught me that perfumers are artists, but ultimately we are the resulting art.


No comments:

Post a Comment