Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

L'Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque : Review

I go through spates where I try to find the perfect 'x' fragrance. Most recently it was a search for my perfect vanilla, but just prior I was looking for my perfect citrus which resulted in a frenzy of citrus decant purchases. L'Eau Des Hesperides by Diptyque was one of these decant purchases. Bitter orange and lemon, thyme, rosemary, peppermint, immortelle, musk and wood. Far be it from me to be seasonal....I decided to spray it on this morning, as the post-holiday season is upon me and all I'm feeling is lethargic, so a peppy, zingy fragrance is on the menu.

L'Eau Des Hesperides opens on a bright, true citrus blast with almost a peppery green-ness, which quickly mellows to a....dare I say it?........lemon Razzles gum scent. Luckily, this nostalgic trip to 4th grade fades quickly as well. It doesn't disappear completely but it quickly tempered by the herbs which gives the scent a vague aura of very expensive soap. I love the thyme as it adds a 'dryness' to the scent and keeps it from becoming too run-of-the-mill.

A half hour later all obvious sweetness has dissipated and I'm left with the faintest whisper of floral underneath tame, dry wood and still, thankfully, citrus.

This is a lovely scent. I love L'eau de Tarocco, and it's obvious that these two scents share a common lineage, like they started on the same train and then at a common stop they both got off and went to different destinations. Whereas Tarocco is warmer due to the saffron and is scent that I could easily see wearing in cooler weather, Hesperides has a definitive warm-weather vibe to it due to the bitterness that the Mediterranean herbs impart. Definitely unisex, and in my eyes, a bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment